27" monitor recommendations

As I am consolidating the size of my PC setup, I am forgoing my second 19" monitor. I exchange for this I fancy upgrading my 24" Benq which has served me well, with a nice shiny new 2K 27" IPS 144Hz monitor.

Currently seen good things about this :

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

That seems like a cracking monitor. It’s a) branded by a good brand. b) nearly frameless and c) 144Hz.

I love my 32" QHD monitor to bits… so I was going to recommend the AOC - but looking on ebuyer, the equivalent is only 60hz. Still have fantastic reviews - but why have less when you can have more?

Adjusted your link to an affiliated link btw. Ta muchly.

I’m not going to recommend anything. I’m running 3, 60hrz, 24" ,1080p panels myself. Only thing I would note is that, that one you are looking at has 4ms response time.
I’ve always gone for 1ms response myself.
The reason for this is that “back in the day” a mate of mine got a large screen he was using as a TV substitute and it had 8ms response, this caused massive tearing when watching movies… the tech has gone a long way since then.

I like the look of this but as I am a bit of “lack of knowledge” type of gamer and my current monoitor has a overheat issue (currently using a TV as monitor at mo), what are the type of stuff that I need to know.

Like Refresh rate - what is better 60 or 75hz?
Like Response time

Does this read like a good budget buy?

75hz is better than 60hz. Higher the better… and I believe it is an influence on your FPS. That monitor looks great with its frameless design, and 1ms refresh… Not a bad price either… My only ‘thing’ is that it is 1080p (HD rather than QHD)

These are my monitor frequency/refresh rate thoughts.

The frequency (60Hz or 75Hz) is the number of times the monitor redraws the screen per second, so it’s also your maximum effective framerate (you’ll get higher FPS, but the monitor isn’t able to show all the frames fully and you get tearing. At that resolution, you shouldn’t struggle to hit 75FPS. Higher resolutions tend towards lower refresh rates (it’s an oversimplification but you can think of it as having to push the number of pixels multiplied by the refresh rate, so a higher resolution will be harder to push and refresh the whole screen less often). There are also certain trends, like TN panels having lesser image quality but higher refresh rates, as they’re a different technology to IPS panels. IPS often have better viewing angles, or colour representation, and older TN panels were a lot more prone to ghosting, though that’s less of an issue now. That’s when the response time comes into play, as it’s the time it takes for the pixels to change colour. So yeah, the screen refreshes, but each individual pixel does too, so if that time is higher (25ms used to be very common, compared with 1ms), the screen refreshes but depending on the contrast, the previous image would remain as a ‘ghost’ until all the pixels had refreshed.

V-sync in games locks the game to a certain frequency, usually matching your monitor, or sometimes halving it (some stuff, often menus, cut scenes etc run at 30fps anyway), and reduces the tearing you’d get if you were getting a higher in game FPS than the monitor’s refresh rate.

It’s all down to personal preference; you can get higher refresh rate monitors, higher end GPUs to get a higher FPS, and you’ll get a much smoother experience. G-Sync or Freesync will then tie the monitor to the rate that the GPU is outputting and keep things super smooth, if you go that route.

Or, you might find that anything above 60fps is lost on you, either because your monitor is 60Hz or because you just don’t pick up on the extra ‘smoothness’ of having higher FPS. I’m in this boat, so my monitor is 60Hz, i run everything with vsync or capped to 60fps and things looks great and feel plenty smooth for me. Some folk are more sensitive to visual stability/fluidity more than others; e.g. from how he’s described it in the past, @vredesbyrd would be in that boat.

It’s one of those things that horribly expensive or difficult to try before you buy unless you’re fortunate enough to have access to a variety of monitors you can try with YOUR PC, playing the games YOU play :confused:

Sorry, i should point out the above is also in reference to the fact you’ve listed a Freesync monitor, which is quite a specific thing to go for, and I’m not sure if that was your intent.

What GPU are you using Mic?

@adrock - I am running an nVidia 1060 6GB

Moving up the payment scale, I have found this one

Its a bit more than I want to pay but if you guys are approving I may swing the budget up a bit

E-model of that would be cheaper. Amazon…

Differences seem minimal:
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/ba095dd8a

so your first pick had freesync, which works with AMD cards, G-sync is the nvidia equivalent. If you weren’t looking for that specifically you might find an otherwise equivalent model for less cash. I don’t know how ubiquitous freesync has gotten since i last shopped for a monitor; g-sync i believe is still (unnecesarily) expensive.

27" 1440p like the latter ones you’ll notice an improvement in the resolution (i’m assuming you’re coming from 1920x1080 or 1920x1200) and a 1060 shouldn’t have any issue at that resolution.

They’re the same panel, the B model has a more adjustable stand (height, and rotation for portrait) and extra hdmi and audio cables. Your call on whether that’s worth the extra thirty quid or so, but it’s VESA mountable so you can always get a better stand/arm later if you want.

Yes I am running 1920x1080.

I looked at the nVidia sync but that is mega money.

I am looking at monitors that have QHD and higher Hz (as per @Jester recommendation) and the 1ms (@BlackRaven) response and a larger screen (as @n0tch) but my budget is up to 200 quid.

If you can find a recommendation from those requirements then please post :slight_smile:

A fraction over budget @MicJules, but this comes in at £224. (down from £344)

1ms , QHD, 27", Solid brand, 74Hz.

After a ton of investigation, I am deffo going for this one:

The first one I linked to was the 1ms TN version and not the 4ms IPS version which this is. Annoyingly Acer decided to have 4 versions all with the same fucking model number. All the bullshit after the XF270HUA is the actual specific model code. I am going for the 4ms IPS version, as from everything I have read 1ms will currently always be a TN panel which has lacklustre colours and bad viewing angles compared to an IPS panel. The games I play will not benefit from the reduction of 3ms. My brain can just about detect 3s.

These monitors are going for £500+ in most places, but Amazon and OCUK have them for under £400. No idea why. Going to leave it for a bit longer to see if things change during the Black Friday silly season.

@n0tch

Sure you don’t want this…
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC49J890DKUXEN-49-Inch-Ultra-Wide-Curved-Monitor/dp/B07C7YNLBW/ref=gbps_tit_m-5_5442_5c88a834?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=71469e15-d7fd-43fd-bb64-f285663c5442&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=161428031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=4GA9N6CNYSASBG1MM2YZ