Samsung announce new 4TB consumer SSD

Samsung has announced that it is starting production of 4-bit (QLC, quad-level cell) 4TB SSDs for the consumer market!

“Samsung’s new 4-bit SATA SSD will herald a massive move to terabyte-SSDs for consumers, As we expand our lineup across consumer segments and to the enterprise, 4-bit terabyte-SSD products will rapidly spread throughout the entire market.”

In a nutshell, we’re talking much larger SSDs at a more affordable pricing. Performance isn’t compromised either - with 540MB/s read speeds and 520MB/s write speed. It will also include a 3-year warranty.

It’ll be great to just run everything on SSD. Can’t wait.

Source: https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-starts-mass-production-of-industrys-first-4-bit-consumer-ssd

I belive it when I see the actual pricing…

Well, Intel have launched their 660P QLC SSD (M.2) - and it’s currently $99.99 for 500GB on newegg. Just looked on Amazon UK, the old Intel M.2 600P is currently £200.

Noticed too that other companies have reduced prices recently too - £88 for a branded 500GB M.2 is pretty amazing… down from £130.

I’m sure prices will be pushed even further soon… until a factory conveniently floods or burns down and there is a worldwide shortage of chips again…

Pricing has dropped in general due to a lower volume requirement from customers. For example there have not been too many new phones coming to market. Oh and 500GB is not high capacity model so my comment was in regards to actually seeing pricing on this new tech and the capacity/price (cost pre GB) going down.

Even edited that and it does not bring my point across. I want to see a cheap large capacity M.2 essentially.

Apparently the 1TB model of that Intel 660P should be 200 dollars. Then again everything is cheaper in the US, it gets over to europe and they stick 40% tax on top.

it’s worth distinguishing between M2 ssds; sata ones run at sata speeds and are no different to one with a sata connection to a sata3 controller. nvme ones and their precursors are faster but still more expensive.

I’m not fussed about getting another m2 drive as i’ll never get one large enough to hold everything anyway, and my desktop’s not a laptop so i’ve plenty of space for 2.5" drives, so i just want cheap bulk sata ssd storage. this could fit the bill, but it’ll need competitive pricing, and not the usual marginally competitive pricing relative to the previous generations products.

750GB for 105 quid is still my figure to beat, and that’s from two years ago, so probably looking for 100 quid per TB.

Or this.

I want one of those!
Yes large capacity with sata connection would do. You are not really getting a significant speed up with NVME for any normal day use. Where it is great is if you are doing rendering and then people will do that in raid etc.
Also my mobo does not have a connection for these fancy new M.2/NVME.
I think the pricing for “normal” HDDs is still a bit up from what it was a couple of years ago.

you can stick m2 drives on a pci-e bracket with a suitable controller on it, which to me is more appealing than some of the mounting systems on motherboards i’ve seen (including my own). As long as you’ve the lanes it’s fine. I’m a fan of the quicker boot times, and when i do have to faff with larger files it’s handy to have something with the throughput.

yeah, spinning metal has stabilised a bit higher than it was a while ago, similar to ssd pricing. i don’t think much is going to come along and shake that up though :confused:

Yep I know you can get cards. I’ve got crossfire here so can’t do it. The current SSD I’ve got is plenty fast on bootup and I have another one for some other stuff(games).
Would be nice to have one for doing encoding and rendering as well.