3d printer recommendations

Well, I’ve been printing off some singular pieces today and they’re coming out perfect. Only support columns for the corners of buildings, but it’s working great so far.

1.5 hours per column. 10 layers for the top, moat adhesion, 60% build speed (60mm/sec), 180° on the hotend.

Discovered that 170° will simply not adhere to the printbed (60°).

I got another KS scenery STL batch, so trying a few of those now. Matches the other one in terms of connections.

1 Like

I found that making sure the bed was uber clean was a massive help:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TYEG81I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, turn off the hot end fan for the first few layers.

2 Likes

I was wondering about this. The hotend and printbed find home, then when it goes to start printing there is some stringing. I quickly remove it with the tweezers (the packaged tools that came with it are actually quite good!), and there’s no issue :slight_smile:

This is what I’ve printed off so far now. I added some extra support poles for the 2nd level and damaged walls. Now I have enough poles to start on a 2nd structure.

Did have one failure today though. A few dodgy layers early on meant that it snapped mid-print and just caused abig lump of material to print.

3 Likes

Testing out a sliding door piece from Dragons Nest “Zone Fatalis” system.

I should have dropped the infill percentage down to 10-15%, I had it set to 25%…

Will be done by this evening, then I just have to print the top part and glue it together.

2 Likes

Stage 1 took just over 18 hours to complete.

Printing the top now, will probably take about 8 hours to complete.

3 Likes

Noticed this on black friday deals so just posting in here. I have no idea if this is any good or even well priced. Anyway some discounted Filament.

2 Likes

I’m already waiting on another 2 spools of filament.

Printed this off today, along with another batch of walls. Annoying supports that caused a bunch of the surrounding pipework to snap, but fixed most of them.

4 Likes

Just catching up on this thread. Impressive stuff guys.

I ordered 2 spools of PLA from Anycubic 2 weeks ago and it still hadn’t arrived, so I shot them an email, expecting a refund…

So in the interim, I went to Amazon and bought 4Kg of PLA instead! :smiley: … Then I got an email from Anycubic saying that their purple had been out of stock and they’re shipping it all today…

So, I’m not going to be short on filament for a little while at least :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@vredesbyrd There are some freebie STL files available on Dragons Rest for scatter terrain and stuff like that if you’re at all interested.

2 Likes

These are pretty damn sweet

Well, this is the current stockpile of printed stuff so far!
image image image

6 Likes

How sturdy is that plastic? Lets say that if I needed a spacer with screw holes to hold around 2kg would something like that be possible?

1 Like

I reckon PLA would be fine, but you can get ABS material as well.

I know @n0tch has printed stuff to mount speakers in his project car, so he’d be better able to give you his experience on that side of things.

Thanks. It would be for my 3 monitor mount. I’ve somehow got to get the side monitors up about 2cm. Different types of monitors and different sizes and not enough movement on the adjustments. So a spacer that has separate holes for the actual vesa mount should do it. This is the problem when you don’t have tools :slight_smile: I’m going to Finland in December so might measure things up and get something done in there.

1 Like

Huzzah!

4Kg of filament arrived today! Printing has started up again in earnest!

I should actually try out a Benchy at some point. …

3 Likes

Well, after a brief hiatus, I put the printer back into action and ran off another stack of walls and support columns.

Then, as I was printing a 5th column, I heard an odd clicking and looked over to see a huge string of unmelted and unused filament coiling around the printer!

Turns out, the PC4-M6 push fitting on top of the extruder, which hold the teflon feed-tube was bust and wouldn’t stay in place!

So I ordered 6 of these:

Off Amazon, due on Wednesday. €7.20 for 6 of them.

That should fix the issue and I’m back in business.

5 Likes

Parts should be arriving today, so hoping to get this back up and running later on this evening and getting it back into action.

I threw together a small gaming table yesterday evening (2’x2’) to see how the terrain stacks up for making a populated board…

4 Likes

From a recommendation from my dad who was one of the first people in the country to use CAD in industry back in the early 70’s, I am using Fusion360 by Autodesk which is a parametric modeller. Watched a few YT vids and it very clever and very powerful. Can produce STL files for your slicer to print.

1 Like