3d printer recommendations

Some recommended prints - The Expanse ones SciFi released were very well sliced and although they don’t have a lot of the smaller details, they are really well modelled and print like a dream:

Nice small one to try out first:

I have this one on my shelf:

Roci without disguise:

With the disguise:

One of the easiest prints:

Another nicely sliced print and decent model is the Wingman from Titanfall:

Never got around to this but the files are up to scratch with the Wingman:

Same as above:

I’m pretty sure you have to slice this yourself, but all it needs is a single chop down the middle. Prints like a dream. I did mine in wood-effect material which made the bone look really good:

3 Likes

Well, the printer is up and running. Currently on it’s first test print of ANYCubic “Owls”.

If these come out well, I’m going to try out a Benchy, then if that works well, then I’ll move on to some other fun stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s another review of the printer from October this year:

1 Like

Well, the machine is in the middle of an 18 hour print at the moment. Trial by fire.

I got it set up yesterday, levelled the bed as best as I could figure out. Still needs some adjustment.

8 X M3 bolts and it was essentially good to go.

I printed off the test piece that came with the bundled SD card:

After taking with n0tch last night, I also tested a 10mm cube. It came out measuring 10.01 X 10.00 X 10.02mm which I think is pretty good for out of the box.

Am I impressed? Very. :grinning:

3 Likes

The bed level on my lil pinter is hard to do but I think its pretty good as I have really nice prints.

Bed adhestion is the biggest issue for me sometimes the print comes away from the bed during printing possibly suggesting a less than perfect level but my last big print was a multi part model of a corgi wearing a jet pack!

Don’t ask it was a silly gift :rofl:

Came out pretty nice though:

:rofl:

3 Likes

That looks impressive dude!

I’m getting a lot of stringing at the moment, but I am running 8 separate components across the entire print bed.

I’ve dropped the temperature to 175 and the print speed down to 70%. Some of the fiddly parts have failed completely, but we’re only 50% through now.

1 Like

I do get a bit of filament stringing but its kinda random, I have not played much with filament retraction which can help with that but I use Cura as my slicer which does use filament retraction.

That was pinted with my nozzle at 220 as the orange pearlescent filament has a high temp requirement that I didn’t realise when I bought it (220-240 C :astonished: ) but it looks so cool in person as it has a real pearlescent look to it.

I might slow mine down for the next print as that was done at 100% speed which is 50mm/sec:
speeds

Still doing my best to work out how to print that Xenomorph model I put in the discord, the supports needed for that are killing me! :rofl:

1 Like

My max print speed is 100mm/s, so it’s currently running at 60mm.

The poor print quality at the base of the test print owls was because it was running at 100mm/s at the start before I picked up on it.

I know this current print will not be the best because I just didn’t factor in the huge distance that the print head has to move between objects, all the while the hotend is still extruding material. It’s caused the liquid PLA to catch on some things and drag parts here and there.

Still, it’s all a learning lesson :slight_smile:

I think I would be better off doing multiple, shorter prints of individual components, rather than trying to ram 8 out at the same time :laughing:

That corgi print had to be separate parts due to my 120x120 build plate!

I have been learning more on how to split up STL files to fit on the build plate but having a “play” and good results with a small printer has made me want to upgrade to a bigger printer!

I suppose I could print parts to build a new printer! That’d be interesting/diffiucult! :rofl:

1 Like

The Prusa approach! :smiley:

The i3 has a 210x210x205 build volume. It’s pretty much perfect for what I’m primarily going to be printing (tabletop terrain), but if I enjoy this enough, I’ll be looking at bumping that up to something like a CR-10 in due time.

For now, it’s all about learning the process.

@n0tch sent me a link to some really good articles on processes:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/articles/

2 Likes

So, after 21 hours and 6 minutes… The first batch was done!

A lot of stringing going on. Lots to tinker with.

SO MANY SUPPORTS! Once that stuff was cooled, it took about half an hour to clean that panel up.

I broke a few bars on the model, but they can just be glued back into place.

Like I said… lots of supports. And cleaning.

The end result. I have a floor tile running at the moment.

3 Likes

I thought the broken bars added to the effect

1 Like

Hmm, that is a lot of stringing. I would look at your retraction distance and speed. Up both a bit. Print small jobs to dial that in.

Also investigate piece placement to avoid excessive head travel.

Also, play around with piece orientation on the bed to minimise supports. You may end up printing less in one job, but if it goes to tits up you only have one bit to reset.

1 Like

All of this.

I am printing a single piece at the moment, I’m pretty sure that’s going to come out nice and smooth if the owls are anything to go by.

I had the pieces laid out on the printbed in a really stupid way. I didn’t consider that it would travel so far and jump from the pillars in one corner all the way over to one of the wall plates at the opposite corner (20cm travel).

The model supports are meant to be doable with minimal, or no supports, but Cura had different plans.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been printing off some singular pieces today and they’re coming out perfect. Only support columns for the corners of buildings, but it’s working great so far.

1.5 hours per column. 10 layers for the top, moat adhesion, 60% build speed (60mm/sec), 180° on the hotend.

Discovered that 170° will simply not adhere to the printbed (60°).

I got another KS scenery STL batch, so trying a few of those now. Matches the other one in terms of connections.

1 Like

I found that making sure the bed was uber clean was a massive help:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TYEG81I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, turn off the hot end fan for the first few layers.

2 Likes

I was wondering about this. The hotend and printbed find home, then when it goes to start printing there is some stringing. I quickly remove it with the tweezers (the packaged tools that came with it are actually quite good!), and there’s no issue :slight_smile:

This is what I’ve printed off so far now. I added some extra support poles for the 2nd level and damaged walls. Now I have enough poles to start on a 2nd structure.

Did have one failure today though. A few dodgy layers early on meant that it snapped mid-print and just caused abig lump of material to print.

3 Likes

Testing out a sliding door piece from Dragons Nest “Zone Fatalis” system.

I should have dropped the infill percentage down to 10-15%, I had it set to 25%…

Will be done by this evening, then I just have to print the top part and glue it together.

2 Likes

Stage 1 took just over 18 hours to complete.

Printing the top now, will probably take about 8 hours to complete.

2 Likes