Battlefield V

But then this is consumer software, not bespoke; you’re stuck putting up with whatever you’re given or you change product, but your thoughts or feelings don’t mean shit to your providers. It’d be great if they did, but it’s them you need to convince of that and they’ve no interest in listening as long as they’re getting paid.

Now if we were all to chip in to hire some devs and commission a game or more likely a mod, then the resulting shit storm would be down to us not all being able to agree exactly what we want or what our priorities are AND the incompetency of whatever devs would work for whatever amount of money we’d scrape together. But you could ask for changes and reasonably expect to both a) get those changes made and b) not get other arbitrary changes made.

There are no shit medics*, just the medics who’s squadmates are too far away, die in the wrong place or at the wrong time, or don’t get shot enough. It’s them, not you :wink:

*medics who run and gun with a suomi and only ever get further from your corpse aren’t medics, they’re confused assault players doing assignments or challenges.

Oh granted. My flippant remark was just referring to the fact no one I know knew or read anything about the TTK change or why it was needed.

I suppose on reflection, EA/DICE does have a precedent of changing things - Sometimes listening to the minority of players that are shouting the loudest. Then making major rather than subtle changes to appease those voices.

I can remember even with BF2 them changing the mini-guns on the side of the Blackhawk helicopters - changing them from a useful killing machines to airguns that fired wet paper towels. The PKM was the same, as were many other guns.

It didn’t really happen as much with BF3/4 because more voices were bitchin’ about the crap netcode (me included).

Some news:

Got about 10 minutes into that before wanting another beer.

What a fucking mess. Previous BF games had issues of “Hardcore” and “Softcore” gamemode - which, whilst I initiallly favoured “Hardcore” in terms of accurate bullet damage, I eventually saw the logical point of view of @adrock and others that the “softcore” or “normal” gameplay actually gave a better teamwork experience whilst “hardcore” favoured the more TDM style player, who were generally, more dickish.

I thought EA had gotten over this, and with BFV, had created a pretty balanced game that favoured both assaulting or sniper based players as well as those that like to heal or provide ammo to people.

Evidently not. “Core” game mode is basically the new “Hardcore” then? Great. good job splitting the community. FFS.

it would have been nice if they’d have stuck to their guns, it feels like splitting it out again is a bit defeatist, albeit i’ve not noticed any difference in the games we’ve played; is what we’ve been in the new hardcore or softcore in relation to the other option?

ah so, it’s like a placebo effect - by knowing that you’re playing a certain type of game reflects on your experience of the game? Possible so. Have a bad round - “Fuck these new TTK settings”. Have a good round “These settings are ace!”

I think there would be a sensible logic, if EA (as professionals in their industry, from making multiple FPS based games), could just tweak setting based on analytical data WITHOUT actually telling anyone - to then fine-tune their product for the optimal experience. They can’t please everyone… and that’s kind of what they seem to want to achieve.

Otherwise its just opinions and arseholes again and again.

i meant more i’ve not noticed a big difference in gameplay and haven’t paid attention to any patch notes, but then i’ve not played a huge amount since the patch (though i have played quite a bit i guess?) so it’s a genuine question from me on is what we’re playing (which i assume is still named ‘normal’ or not given a distinction of any kind) the one that would have been hardcore in previous battlefields, or have the switched it the other way round?

i hadn’t considered placebo effect tbh, but that probably counts for something, especially if someone tries both they may end up with a bias toward one or the other based on arbitrarily having a good or bad round.

I do wonder what DICE make their changes based on, how much of that comes from direction from above, given i imagine EA get a lot more flack from displeased gamers than DICE themselves. Do they aggregate tweets, or just pay attention to feedback forms, or community forums?

I think it’s like overwatch and probably a lot of ‘more complicated than straight deathmatch’ shooters; too many moving parts to actually balance, so they just keep making changes of any kind to give the illusion they’re trying to find balance. they’ll try to please everyone, but not all at the same time. and that would probably be unobtainable so i guess it’s justified. It’d be nice if they tried though.

@adrock

I seem to be having difficulty answer this without getting myself confused. When BFV launched, it was for me somewhere between ‘old hardcore’ and ‘old Vanilla’ Now the new updated TTK has moved BFV back toward vanilla. And the original launch mode now sitting in Conquest Core.

I for one have since the updates had some very enjoyable rounds. Some good scraps, some wins, some losses overall I am having really good fun with the game.

Battlefield V’s TTK will revert to its original value through an update coming December 18 at 4 AM PT / 7 AM ET / 1 PM CET. The “Core” playlist for Conquest will be removed at this time, while the previously announced additional “Core” playlists are not going to be released.

Maybe they’ll re-assess and add it as another option/mode somewhere down the line, or maybe cater to it through alternative game modes or maps. i’d prefer that than changing what we’ve got/taking anything away, but then they want to make sure they’ve got players populating servers playing together and not all fragmented.

I am very happy about this. I had visions this morning of either dropping the game completely or dicking about on my own with random squads on the core servers if I could ever get a slot.

Yaaay.

I can only conclude from this that EA/DICE rmust read the ZiiP forum and that we are the catalysts for this change.

Our intent with the TTK changes was to see if we could evolve the Battlefield V experience and make it more enjoyable for new players, whilst also making sure the Battlefield vets have a choice with a more “core” experience suiting their preferred play-style. Clearly we didn’t get it right. Veteran players didn’t ask for the change, but as game developers, we took it upon ourselves to make those changes based on extensive data and deliberation. It truthfully wasn’t an easy decision for us.

It’s important to acknowledge that we have a challenge bringing new players into Battlefield V and onboard them to become more experienced Battlefield players. It’s been a challenge across our games for a long time, as many will know, and becomes even more important for us to improve upon our post-launch experience with consistent updates to the game through the Tides of War. Our desire to service a game that caters to old and new players will continue. How we get it right isn’t easy, nor will it be quick, and we appreciate when the community comes together and helps us on this journey.

Yep they have a challenge because of bad PR and then what do they do. Lets do some more bad PR so we will not get any more new players. Genious!

make a free to play battlefield 5 game focused on smaller maps, 16-32 player limit and whichever specific modes you want to attract players from: deathmatch, gungame, battleroyale, maybe smaller conquest or conquest domination.

fortnite putting out a free to play version with a specific game mode seems to have worked out alright for epic, might be worth a punt.

Good games last night, especially just the conquest games at the end. Not sure I like the Grand Operations mode that much.

In case you are interested here is the latest on the BFV netcode

There are netcode issues? Why am I not bitching and using them as an excuse?

Because they are not as bad as with most other games.