Bethesda teasing a new Fallout game/release

I’m really looking forward to this!

Bethesda are “actively tracking” some gnarly cheats, exploits and more in the Fallout 76 beta

War may never change, but a lot can happen in a public beta test, and those braving Fallout 76‘s wasteland early have found some things in need of changing. Bethesda may have warned that there were “spectacular” bugs to be found, but few were expecting this laundry list collated on Reddit – client-side modding, unsecured connections and worse. Also the significant issue of player speed being tied to framerate, (thanks, Eurogamer) – players with uncapped framerates can zoom off by staring at their own feet. Bethesda have partially acknowledged these issues in a statement to Eurogamer today.

Yep, thats right everyone, after it was a problem on the Fallout 4 console release, they’ve gone and tied something important to the framerate again. And they’ve left client side files unsecured and don’t perform server side checks for a bunch of stuff that should be first on the list for securing.

What have Bethesda got to say about it?

“Many of the claims in the thread are either inaccurate or based on incorrect assumptions. The community has however called to attention several issues that our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for”

“Our goal is always to deliver a great experience for all our players. Cheating or hacking will not be tolerated. We know our fan base is passionate about modding and customising their experience in our worlds and it’s something we intend to support down the road.”

Nothing, basically.

The list of bugs/problems on reddit are real doozies if they’re even half true (which certainly seems to be the case given the Nexus lock picking mod):

Welcome to 5 reasons not to use an engine that you made entirely open and provided all the tools needed to mod that engine in an online game. Oh and how to entirely not secure anything for your users.

I am as much a Fallout and Bethesda fan as everyone else, I’ve sunk around 4000 hours into Fallout4 and have been making mods for about 2 years. So when I got into the PC Beta and it allowed me to download the client and files, I started playing with them.

Number 1: There are no server checks to verify models or file integrity. Want to make trees smaller, or player models bright colors to see them easier? Go right ahead, here are the tools to do it!

Number 2: Terrain and invisible walls/collision is client side! Want to walk through walls? Open up that beautiful .esm file and edit it. The server doesn’t care or check!

Number 3: Want to save money on server hardware and make ping a little more manageable? Go ahead and open up client to client communication but don’t encrypt it or obfuscate it in anyway. Open up Wireshark while playing and nab anyone’s IP you want! Send packets to the server to auto use consumables, all very nicely and in plain text! Even get health info and player location, why waste time injecting the executable and getting nabbed by anti-cheat when you can get all info from the network!

Number 4: Want to grief people and be a God? Go ahead and keep looping the packet captured in Wireshark reporting you gave full HP. Why would the server care about something as little and not game breaking like this?!?! It’s a great idea to let the client tell the server it’s state and the server not check anything it’s being told! The possibilities with this are endless and probably able to just give yourself items by telling the server you picked it up!

Number 5: Someone in your game being mean? Again have Wireshark? Well let’s just forge a packet with the disconnect command in it and knock them offline!

And all those CompSci graduates never thought they’d use Wireshark again!

While almost impressively vague, Bethesda’s statement does suggest that at least some of the issues highlighted by Reddit and elsewhere are being worked on. The biggest problems at the moment seem to be client-side modding. According to modders, surprisingly little has changed under the hood since Fallout 4, allowing basic changes to be made with the regular Fallout 4 mod toolkit. Some of these mods could easily be considered cheats, such as this one that shows you exactly what spot needs to be tickled in order to open locks, installed by simply replacing an interface file.

hahahahaha they’ve literally just modded the ‘Creation Engine’ (Gamebryo V123123123) and slapped multiplayer in it the stupid goits.

With release being so close and the ‘Betas’ being so late, along with the above, this sounds like it’ll be a spectacular Bethesda dumpster fire of a release.

I was going to keep an eye and then pick it up when they release private servers after the first year, but I can’t see myself picking this up for maybe another two years if this goes the way it looks like it will.

Jesus Christ, Bethesda.

yeah, that all sounds like it isn’t an issue if you’re playing on a private server hosted by someone you know, but screw playing public.

i think anyone running wireshark for an hour on their regular desktop would be surprised how much shit is actually going on.

I got a peak at the technicians at work looking at Windows 10 traffic with Wireshark when they first started migrating to it and it was insane.

Windows was reporting that nothing was really going on and that all the telemetry stuff was confirmed as switched off like they wanted but Wireshark showed the complete opposite.

And yeah, with private servers those issues are less serious but on a public server? Hell no.

1st patch out for this. 47gb on the PS4. Yes 47gb of a fucking patch

hahaha this really is a trainwreck - reading about the bugs, the unsecured files and network stuff, the performance, the cheat mods…

And it’ll all be repeated when they release private servers in a year.

And that’s after the day one 50GB odd patch.

Completely unacceptable.

Holy crap - shooting or throwing grenades kills the frame rate?!

What are they doing with this?!

Honestly not a clue. Especially after the patches.

So accurate it hurts.

£4 of microtransactions for the shitty quality bag…

It’s a first world problem if there ever were one - I can’t deny that - but Bethesda’s response is just as poor as their continued efforts with Fallout 76.

What the hell is going on with Bethesda and this whole situation?

Apparently you can buy basically fuckall with the credits which immediately has the more cynical Fallout fans/general gamers saying it is a ploy to encourage people to throw some money in to the microtransactions.

As cynical as I am, I’m not sure I completely buy that, but I can certainly see where they’re coming from given how lazy Fallout 76 feels.

It’s going from bad to worse :see_no_evil:

Just about to post up about this. From Arstechnica’s article: Bethesda’s attempt to fix a Fallout 76 blunder leaks angry shoppers’ PID.

I went on the support website today to update a ticket of mine, and surprisingly (or not…) I ended up being able to see all sorts of tickets, with people putting their personal information in them, like receipt screenshots, names, addresses, and so on. I’m assuming this is a bug in the website, because I don’t see for what reason Bethesda would make tickets public.

I’m not going to paste screenshots of what I have access to for the privacy of people, but I can see receipts of people from all over the world, and if I can, other people probably can, too.

It seems like the code of the website sucks as much as the one of the game.

And it gets funnier:

Shortly after this post went live, the thread was updated by a moderator to indicate that it would be locked, but users were still able to reply to the thread. That “thread locked” notice went away shortly afterward, with an indication that the data-leak issue had been resolved. I was unable to file a ticket to attempt to replicate the issue, however, as the ticket-submission page was still missing its “submit” button as of press time.

Insane how badly this is going.

Que GDPR lawsuit heading their way…