DCS Flight Sim?

Anyone? Have been getting more and more suckered into this from watching various videos and channels.

Now, I know this is not simply a pick up and play game.Its alot of ‘learning’ and its a different ball game to flying BF style or ARMA.

Anyway went to download the free DCS on Steam and held back as its 76 GB initially with 2 planes! lol so will get that over night sometime. Im leaning towards F16 or F18 to be my plane of choice to learn.

Anyway, anyone here plaing any DCS?

2 Likes

I think Andy plays it.

Been looking at this for a looooooooong time and watching a lot of vids on it. But with my game play time (literally zero) I wouldn’t even have time to get the engines spooling up let along take off.

2 Likes

Aye. That’s the thing alot of effort to ‘play’ this game. Probably a days work in mapping the hotas out properly.

2 Likes

I wish I had the time to play it

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve watched that before. Good fun.

Not like BF flying at all! Just managed a night tme landing Instruments only, no airfield landing lights!! 3rd attempt. Very chuffed. Only took 1 tyre out in the process.

3 Likes

Added a wee vid off it. Need to sort out capturing footage a wee bit better. Shadowplay just picking up the steam mirro there. FOV in the headset is nowehere near like that. you can see me looking up at the text which is high to my right and down to the two main Instruments just left of the Flight stick.

3 Likes

Bought the F16 in the steam sale but have not flown it yet until this evening! Wow. Night and day against the Frogfoot. Anyway, I have only just had one brief free flight in it so have not even configured many of the buttons yet. Good thing in DCS is you can easily save your whole flight and then watch it again from any angle. So thought Id use this wee free flight to try and sort out my recordings. Tally Ho.

3 Likes

Started to work on the F16 Now. Have completed the trainings missions. Il be buggered if I can remember the start up sequence! fortunately there is a quickstart shortcut. But I can open and close the canopy thats the cool bit. (You really do need your own checklist to start the thing up!). I can take off, I can land, just about. I can fire some weapons and can just about work the TACAN Nav system. Trying my hand at air to air refueling this evening. Not great…

You can see me set up the TACAN at the start of this vid, which is like a navigation system to find airfields, carriers, or air tankers using radio channels. Then a series of approaches to the tanker, 1st way too fast!! haha, had to peel off and rejoin, few more attempts (whole video was 20 minutes, mostly me just sitting behind the thing looking at it and failing to close the gap!!). Came close a few times and then the ending? well. Poor guys, I think they bailed out.

Still need to tweak the capture settings, still slighty wider field of view as to what I have in the VR.

2 Likes

First venture into air to air combat. Well second actually. First time got a fairly quick gun kill on first jet but the second got me as I hadnt configured a button for my chaff/flares. So second time round I was ready! Fek me, this time it fired off all my flares/chaff continuously! So need to figure that one out for next time, at least they worked.

2 Likes

Been a player for a while if you need someone to go up with

1 Like

Affternoon James. Welcome to ZiiP. Cheers for the offer, I am still tweaking and tinkering at the moment with controls and learning ETC but yeah, could be good to have a flight with someone.

Where are you from? What do you do? And what plane(s) you flying mainly? Play any other games?

1 Like

I am from Norwich UK. I have almost all the aircraft in the game and mainly fly F14 as my fave. I create silly maps and missions to play too in the editor.

I have too many games to mention lol from over 500 on steam (with VR) to a shitload on Origin too

1 Like

Welcome to the Forums Jas!

I’ll have a whisky sour, cheers.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile:

Hi Jas, welcome to forums.

1 Like