I’ve found myself missing a bunch of older games recently but remembered that, even though I still enjoy them, many of my favourites just haven’t aged well.
What games would you love a sequel to, would love to be released, remastered or remade?
- Actraiser - I absolutely love the mix of side scrolling hack and slash with the world building god mode. A team did try, but apparently it wasn’t very good.
- Hogs of War - Obviously it would be without Rick Mayall, but I think this is crying out for a rerelease/remake/etc - I wonder if Xcom would be up to being a platform for a mod?!
- Future Cop: LAPD - Absolute light years ahead of most games released around the time. It’s a top down mech shooter with a transformable mech, upgrades/pickups, a campaign and a skirmish mode which is top down shooter mixed with tower defence/rts.
- Exhumed (Also known as PowerSlave) - Fairly generic Doom/Hexen clone with an ancient Egypt skin. The secrets are fun to find and there is an absoltely insanely difficult lot of secrets called ‘dolls’ which I have never ever seen anyone unlock without cheats - but is apparently possible without.
- Strike games (Soviet/Nuclear/etc) - Some games have come close but none have managed to capture the originals.
- Wipeout - Lots of ‘spiritual successors’ but none that capture the original glory of Wipeout/2097.
- Tenchu - Why the hell is this franchise dead?! I remember being blown away by the gameplay in the demo level, graple hooking on to roof tops, the traps, the variety of weapons and approaches…
- Firestorm Thunderhawk - Pretty generic chopper game but it is the closest thing to ‘Ace Combat with helicopters’ I’ve found. Excellent fun.
- Tombi - Excellent side scrolling platformer that I just haven’t found anything like since.
- Apocalypse - Bruce Willis. Silly guns. Mindless fun.
- MDK - Weird a shit, kind of has Abe vibes.
- Silent Bomber - Bomberman meets Apocalypse.
- Submarine Commander - Ace Combat with subs