Food thread

A salt of glutamate used in all kinds of food to enhance flavour and give it ‘umami’. Used heavily in Chinese food (most fast food probably) and junk food. It’s part of the reason stuff like Pringles are so morish.

I wanted to try it out and see if it was all it was cracked up to be.

2 Likes

This all reminds me of the futurama episode where bender learns to cook and the secret ingredient ends up being lsd

3 Likes

MSG update - Tried it in a few more meals and find it to be hit or miss. In the stew we did it was awesome, but in other meals we can’t tell a difference. Experiment concluded, there are other better was to get the same result.

Crimbo baking tiem: Here comes the Tiffin

Currently have the raisins soaking ready for:

• Cadbury milk chocolate, milk chocolate digestives, chopped and whole hazelnuts with raisins soaked in bourbon
  • Cadbury white chocolate (I didn’t realise they did white!), custard cremes, chopped mixed nuts (Supposed to be almonds), flaked almonds with raisins soaked in malibu
  • Cadbury Bournville dark chocolate, dark chocolate digestives, chopped mixed nuts (couldn’t get chopped Brazils), whole brazils with raisins soaked in Kraken

The plan is to do larger batches of each so each can be divided in to (hopefully) 100 bitesized pieces with a whole nut sticking out of the top of each piece. Going to be giving these out as little gifts in small boxes of 6 pieces (two of each).

Pics to come!

3 Likes

Made a thing!

Not remotely close to the scratch-made stuff some of you guys make, but tasty as!

6 Likes

My weekend brunch treat. Often without the black pudding, though.

4 Likes

And yes, I like a bit of egg with my pepper. :grin:

2 Likes

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mains/sizzling-garlic-prawn-stir-fry

4 Likes

I made my first Apfelstrudel. Evertyhing made from scratch including the filling and the puff pastry. Not bad for a quick first try :smiley: . I normally suck at baking but this came out farely well. Too bad I have no ice cream :frowning:

6 Likes

I would absolutely murder these. ALL of them. In one go. :smiley:

Nice job, Zorn!

1 Like