I need new case fans

I got this ting - GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Socket AM4/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX Gaming 5 Wi-Fi which has these connections -

Expansion Slots * 1 x M.2, 2230 (Occupied by WiFi Card)

• 1 x M.2, 2242/2260/2280, PCIe
  • 1 x M.2, 2242/2260/2280/22110, PCIe/SATA
  • 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
  • 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 Bandwidth)
  • 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
  • 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 Bandwidth)
    SATA Support SATA3 / M.2
    RAID Support via SATA
    Storage Mode Support * NVMe Boot (via M.2 PCIe Slot)
  • NVMe Boot (via PCIe 3.0 Slot)
  • RAID 0
  • RAID 1
  • RAID 10
    Internal I/O * 1 x 24-pin (Power)
  • 1 x 4-pin CPU Fan Connector
  • 1 x 4-pin CPU OPT Fan Connector
  • 4 x 4-pin System Fan Connector
  • 2 x 4-pin Water Pump Connector
  • 1 x 8-pin (Power)
  • 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
  • 1 x CPU Cooler LED/RGB LED Strip Extension Header
  • 2 x Digital LED strip header
  • 2 x Digital LED Strip Power Select Jumper
  • 1 x Front Panel Audio Header
  • 1 x Front Panel Connector
  • 1 x RGB (RGBW) LED Strip Header
  • 1 x S/PDIF-Out Header
  • 6 x SATA III - 6Gb/s
  • 1 x Temperature Sensor Header
  • 1 x TPM 2.0 Header
  • 2 x USB 2.0 Header
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Header

So it has water pump connector on the mobo

the on-board pump connectors are used if you’re running a custom loop; they use the same connectors as fans but can use more power than fans so you no get specific ports for them. AiO coolers usually get their power from a 4-pin molex or a sata power connector to the block/controller and then provide ports to connect the fans to so it can control the fans on it’s radiator. You can run the fans off other controllers including the motherboard but I don’t think i’ve ever seen an AiO cooler that drew power from a fan port. on the other hand you do get ones that have a small fan lead with 1 wire that’s just used to report the speed back, and you could attach that to any of the boards 4-pin headers to monitor the speed of the pump. A bunch of AiO coolers will also connect to an on-board usb header to provide config and monitoring through tools in the OS, usually manufacturer provided/maintained.

I still got the instructions so can have a looky. I may need to buy another SATA power cable, though… I got molex spare though.

Fankoooooooooooooo. New to this non-air malarky!

i still sometimes think of it as air cooling to be honest; i see the pump, radiator and pipes as a way of having all the fans in a more convenient place than having them right in the middle of the motherboard amidst all the other hardware, and for allowing me to have something cooled by 2 or 3 140mm fans rather than what i can fit in the middle of the motherboard on a regular air cooler.

you can get molex to sata adapters, or just sata power splitters; i prefer the latter as i can get away with not using the 4-pin molex lead for my PSU to reduce the amount of cables i have. And i’ve never had a sata power connector push the pins in the socket out as it was plugged in.

It’ll vary from cooler to cooler too, though a lot of them area all made by the same manufacturer (asetek).

Also worth checking how much clearance there is between the roof and the motherboard; you might be able to go push/pull (fans on both side of the radiator), or you might have to choose one or the other.

TBH, it’s just added cooling headroom, as the case is rated as one of the best for air cooling. I don’t want front rad as airflow would be reduced. Top rad is an addition, rather than an instead of.

The best fan splitters I ever used were from modmytoys. To be fair these are mainly for people with custom wc setups as they have at least space for 3 fans up to 8ish. They are easy to use, less cable clutter and fit in tight spaces.

What fan depends on what you want. Do you want it to look like a unicorn vomited in your pc then buy RGB ones, need airflow or high pressure fans for high fin density rads? What noise level is your limit? As quite as possible (Noctua) or high airflow with medicore noise? Maybe the middle ground?

In general Noctua makes excelent fans but with a high price tag, they can be a bit ugly though and aren’t available everywhere! They are typically the best when it comes to quite fans and are also very easy to decouple from your case (vibrations) due to the rubber mounts.

I’m running EK Vardar fans right now and I like them a lot. They are affordable and are a nice middle ground between pressure and noise. But I’m running a 240+360mm rad combo, keep that in mind. Other options would be Corsairs line up. They have fans for almost any type imaginable.

Typically almost every of the big companies has one fan for each range, airflow, pressure with varying speeds: high rpm >1500 aka high noise(high performance) or low rpm <1000 aka low noise (mediocre perfomance).

TL:DR

• exchanging fans is trivial
  • high pressure everything over 2mm H2O ( around 20 Pa)
  • high airflow everything over 90-100 m³/h
  • high rpm fans - everything over 1500 RPM

for standard case fans I would shoot for around 60-100 m³/h and 1-2 mm H2O, around 800-1200 rpm,

Fans for rads or heatsinks I would go for higher pressure (at least 2mm H2O, 20Pa), but that depends on the heatsinks/rads fin density.

ftfy :wink:

While sat in a waiting room yesterday i found noctua do separate coloured rubber bits for the corners of the fans you can buy, so there’s no need to have any brown at all :smiley:

I find the stats difficult to compare tbh; some you get cubic meters per hour, others it’s cubic feet per minute. noise is dependent on distance from the fan, and there isn’t an agreed ‘standard’ to measure from. Pressure you often don’t find presented, although that’s usually a good indicator whether a fan is intended to be stuck on a radiator or not. And all of the values change as the fan speed does, and in a tragically non-uniform manner :frowning:

I refer to the charts on quietpc for comparison, but i’ve found i don’t know how well fans are going to work out until you’ve installed them. I’ve never had any radiator fans that didn’t cool effectively enough, and getting cooler temps isn’t really of interest. My aim has been to get my desktop quiet as it’s always on, and in the living room, and to not have it shoot up in volume when it’s doing something. That was surprisingly easy to achieve, and now i’m down to reliability as a driving factor which takes a really long time to test effectively.

And finding something to replace that one irritating 92mm fan with.

Hehe that 1500 rpm slipped, not 1000rpm like you thought ;). Fixed

If you are looking for a good overall fan I can recommend the Vardar fans. They are fantastic value for their price, reasonable quiet, good mixture of pressure and airflow. If you wanna go for pure noise, than there is no way around the Noctuas. For looks and performance the Corsair fans are a good choice.

I change between units a lot (work related) and typically its not too hard to at least compare airflow and pressure. Noise is often more of a problem. That one Corsair fan I had was more annoying than the industrial 24 V Pabst fan I owned running at 12V, mainly for that really annoying high pitched noise. Noise wise they were identical.

Get something you like, can afford and fits the usecase, thats all I’m saying. And if thats the Unicorn RPG fan which thinks its still the 80s disco then so be it. Still my TL:DR should give agood starting point for everyone who doesnt want to spent 5h on comparing fans. I liek to do that, others mayeb not.

haha, fair enough, i figured 1000 might still be a bit low a boundary for ‘high rpm’.

I switched out the X62 on my gpu just now and rotated the fans, now i need to RMA the old x62. of course i accidentally switched the usb headers their controllers were plugged into, and both the cpu and gpu coolers have been picked up as ‘new devices’, and i had to reset their curves because it wouldn’t be a week day if anything went according to plan.

oh well, back to being irritated by that one shitty 92mm fan!

Anyone got opinions on NZXT fans? Now you can only get the Aer/Aer2 RGB, or the Aer P & F (rad & case) & only in 120 or 140, they did have a few more models & went up to 200mm (sign of the times?) Got 2 x 200, 1 x 140 & 2 x 120 in my Phantom 630 (120s are non NZXT) runs really quiet on lowest speed & even in the likes of BFV CPU hits 40 (Arctic Freezer i30) & GPU 45 (MSi Twin Frozer)

i have and have installed

seems to me working fine can’t tell with noise as i only replaced the faulty fan i will next time im paid.

Question tho the old fan has a ‘grill’ screwed to the bottom ( insideface ) should i have moved that to the new fan or is it fine with out?

You got a picture of that Reno?

Ahh that is the one in the back then. Has the grill in there. You can put that on the new one. Does not really make any difference, I have replaced my back exhaust fan and put that thing back in. I think it adds a bit of rigidity to the back of the case.

Looks like this on mine(when in case).