Looking at a Car

Ok, not sure where this post should go… but feel this is ok?!

I have a lil Vauxhall Agila, but she is coming to the end of her run. So Im looking about and saving up, been working hard to save and what not have a very limited budget!! Ive seen a few on Autotrader that look ok to me but I seriously know next to nothing about cars!!!

This is my first option Ford Mondeo the only thing on this one I am concerned about is the MOT history,

Date tested 9 November 2019 ### Pass ### Mileage 82,777 miles

MOT test number 8185 8072 3448

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 ©)
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 ©)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 ©)
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

then 8 months later it had another one?

Date tested 22 July 2020 ### Pass ### Mileage 85,279 miles

MOT test number 4325 5086 9886

its got a few more thousand miles on the clock, but nothing on advisories… just worried maybe had a dodgy garage “fix” it…

My other one Im looking at is a Citron C4 a few things on the MOT but generally good.

I was wondering if either of these seem good? or too good to be true kinda thing

and yes as you can see my budget is small…

I have a sneaking feeling that replacing the break pipes and suspension arms would be very close to the cost of the car considering the current price on your link.

1 Like

Mondeo could be a taxi, I know taxis have to be MOT’d at shorter intervals than private cars (not sure on time scale tho). Brake pipes are cheap & easy to replace & suspension parts always corrode (poor coating of paint) so they may have been cleaned up & repainted. For that price it might be worth looking at & give it a good look over (you already know some parts to check & can easily see if they’ve been replaced/repaired).

Citreon I’d question why 6 owners in 13 years BUT 101,000 on an HDi engine is nothing, use to have a 307 2.0 HDi which had 117 thou on the clock when I bought it & my mechanic (also a mate) said it’d just been run in lol. HDis are a solid as a rock engine, it’s everything else that lets down any french car (loads started going wrong with my Pug but engine was still running great).

My opinion, you loose nothing giving the Ford a look over, Citroen do not touch.

3 Likes