Looking to build a PC

Ello Folks,

Normally I don’t ask this kinda question, but after some hunting about… seems I am very out of touch in the tech world…

My lady friend has asked if I can look into a Gaming PC for her son, he is autistic so games are a good focus for him (though patience, is not his forte heh. Though he LOVES fortnite) He is big into gaming on his XB1, but is wanting more and wants to have a go at streaming and video editing. It could be a fad, but its something he has been asking about for longer than normal, so she wants to see how much it would cost for a semi decent gaming machine that he could experiment with and learn about game streaming, video work etc.

Now to my lil part, Ive built PC’s (used to be a part time job) but Ive been going on a build and there is allot of new things to consider, the tech has come along way since I last looked. I know I can sort one, but thought to cast my net wide so to speak and see if you awesome folks could lend me some ideas or directions? As id like to try to entice him into this, I also want to engage him in the build of it too (she requested lights etc, but as silent as possible.

I was thinking light based case, changing based on game played etc, maybe water cooling but I think that would be out of the budget range. I dont have a budget just a “FPS” from him, he wants a minimum of 60FPS (well actually he said a min of 100FPS, and yes I have tried to explain but its hard trying to get it over, so Ive just said Ill look into it)

anyway if anyone has some ideas or a base build to look at or some parts to consider if your a bit more up to date on tech, AMD vs Intel etc that would be grand :slight_smile:

1 Like

I built one a wee while ago - based in this case - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/mastercase-h500p-mesh-white-argb/

Don’t need water cooling, plenty of room and teh front 2 big (therefore quiet) fans have LEDs. If you want my spec, let me know. LOTS of LEDs and can wire MoBo to the reset button to use the button to change the LEDs. Also, MoBo has software to change LEDs too. Even my RAM has colour changing LEDs.
It works on all games I use (e.g. Division 2, World of Tanks and VR) on Ultra settings. VR pings out at 90 fps and is far more demanding than my one screen.

1 Like

wow case looks amazing, defiantly would engage him :slight_smile:

and sure, whats the spec like sir?

If you are looking for budged build… Have a look at the new Ryzen 3300X, pair it up with a cheap B450 mobo that is already updated to work with the CPU.
A Jayz2cent video on the CPU. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyLiI1U-BU
You should have a look at how much horsepower is needed for streaming, as I believe that it will take a good bit of power.

1 Like

Ryzen 2700X (X has better cooling that comes with it, but I upgraded to this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L7UZMAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ram is -https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D1XJH2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reason I went for taht case is that I spent hours looking around internet for reviews for coolest and quiet case. This one was in my budget with superb reviews…

Reason upgraded fan is that the original fan was blowing at 90 degrees to the case, so interrupting the air flow. This monster blows the same direction as the case fans.

1 Like

One of the go to CPUs for streaming is the 3700x by AMD, thats where all the extra cores come in handy. I personally see the sweet spot at the 3600x, 2 more cores than the newer 3300x which would be nice for streaming and its at around 180euro. For 1080p thats good enough, otherwise you need around 8GB of ram, for streaming better 16GB and maybe a RTX 2060 or for a bit less (380 vs. 300Euro) the 1660 Super but without RTX.

If you go with the 3300x you won’t need an additional cooler as the stock cooler is more than enough, but for the 3600x I would recommend one (Noctua U12s for example).

I had a look at Scans to get a feeling for prices in the UK, I threw together a build and got to around 980£

• Corsair iCUE 220T - 85£ (they didnt have the H500P)
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC - 220£
  • 512GB Intel SSD 660p Series, M.2 - 66£
  • 550W Corsair RMx Series 2018 RM550x - 105£
  • Bundle - AMD 3600, Noctua U12S, ASUS B450-PLUS, 16GB Corsair 3200 - 492£

I like to suggest X570 chipset motherboards but its hard to argue with a budget build in mind. A good cheap one is the Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, I own the same one with a 3600x, sets you back another 90-100£.

I stumbled over this too:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/performance-super-amd

This is a fairly reasonable build and almost identical to what I suggested. Upgrade the ram to 16GB and you are done. My build is a bit cheaper and has a few better components (cpu cooler, ram, motherboard), except storage (512 GB vs 1TB nvme) justifying if you put a bit of work into it you get a better result.

Pics of it changing colours. I have it set that it changes itself

2 Likes

I agree, B550 boards due mid June :slight_smile: Might be something to keep an eye out for Tak.

1 Like

Some more info on the new R3 processors:

ahhh wow, awesome thanks guys :slight_smile:

and @Leepants bloody cool looking PC there matey, he’d love all the colours and stuff hehe

right time to now translate all of this to his mum and in hope heh, plus also have to give it to her in none techy as she has zero clue, Ive been trying to explain FPS to her, as he has been going on about he has to have 100FPS for fortnight etc and she is worrying… ahhh the wonders of kids

but seriously thank you all so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just an FYI. The B550 boards are coming out soon as well.

1 Like

I would go with either a B550 board OR a X570. The newer Zen 3 chips aka 4000 series won’t run on the older B450. So from that point of view it would be better to invest in the boards which have a direct upgrade path.

The newer B550 should run natively with Zen 3 desktop, so no need to flash the bios whereas the older X570 would.

2 Likes

Yep, ?5XX series boards would be the sensible option. AMD has been pretty good with backward compatibility recently - but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere so that newer tech can be developed and less effort paid to compatibility with legacy architecture.

1 Like

They can’t fit all the code on the bios chip…

1 Like

Really? lol

and there I was thinking it was because they wanted to push pcie 4.0 and other tech more…

So many different processors have come out… Industry standard is 16MB, so that is what most of them have. Some support on some CPUs etc has already been dropped in order to add others. I think the new boards for X570 and B550 will most likely be 32MB, but even that is not a sure thing(also costs more).

1 Like

Lots of confusion what bios version is working with what CPU if you wanna get the modern stuff working on your B450 or even B350. It is very inconvenient for the less tech savy users. Makes sense though, BIOS space is limitted and they made a shit ton of different CPU batches.

The overlap of the upgrade paths is kinda nice though. I could get a newer Zen 3 on my X570 if I get sick of my 3600 in 2-3 years and get a nice 4xxx for it. If they keep the socket I could even get a newer motherboard years later with the same CPU if I need new features. I hope they do … what are the chances though.

I’m pretty sure AMD considered the pros and cons incl. the internet getting mad at them. I’m kinda indifferent on it. Still, two generations and a refresh on one board, is nothing to sneeze at. Beside that you can get a fairly cheap, substantial upgrade, if you go from a Zen1 like a 1600 to a modern 3600 for around 180-200Euro.

dam I am soooooo outta touch with all this stuff heh, I think Im getting “old” haha