Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

Blockquote Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.

They have my attention.

you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention

This migth be fun, lets wait for some gameplay…

XCOM’s an over-used go-to for talking about turn-based, cover-centric strategy combat, but it’s a matter of speaking to the thing the most folks recognise. In practice, Mutant Year Zero’s something else, even though it shares a couple of dozen concepts with XCOM et al – move and shoot or 2x move in a turn, bleeding out, recharging special attacks, high cover and low cover, percentage hit chances, all that jazz.

But it twists in two profound ways. The first is that it’s a fully real-time game until you enter combat – which, if you’re playing smartly, is almost always something triggered by you, as opposed to being caught off-guard by enemies. I don’t mean, by this, that it’s Final Fantasy – i.e. you sprint about the place until you blunder into an enemy, at which point the entire viewpoint switches into Battle Chess Mode. In Mutant Year Zero, it’s real-time until the first shot is fired – the real trick of the thing is how you set up the situation, in real-time, before that happens. Sneak your squad of miserable, mutant Stalkers into position, in cover, up high, clear lines of sight, primed for ambush, before you hit go: it’s more akin to setting up a play in whatever that ridiculous American sport with the big shoulderpads is.

From the RPS Review article.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this since the first announcement (I think - a big announcement of theirs anyway, it could well have been this thread actually @VirulentPip ) and plan to have a poke around a few gameplay videos with the intention of buying it - its on Steam for £29.99 which is a little pricier than I was expecting but CDKeys have it for £24.99 preorder, its out today so I’m not sure if the CDKeys price will jump up to full RRP today/after today’s release.

Sorry @vredesbyrd, I think I just over-wrote your edit with my edit :smiley:

hehe I just spotted that - I was just giving Pip some credit because I think it was this thread that might have lead me on to it!

Thanks for updating the link boss!

Read the RPS article this morning (once I got past their fucking annoying adblocker bullshit) and it reads well.

Still, too much to play at the moment that I’ll pass on it and relegate it to the “maybe some day” pile :slight_smile: