Quick Laptop Decision Help!

So I’ve finally got the green light to buy a replacement for wifey’s laptop and have narrowed it down (I think ) to a couple of quick easy options. If anyone sees an immediate way for me to shorten the list while I have breakfast and coffee I’d love you long time!

Current - Packard Bell Easynote P5WSO. Years old now, struggling and hanging, occasional bsod’s, far too slow for her design needs.

Price limit - £800

Purpose - photoshop and Wacom tablet image design and manipulation

Currently considering;

MSI GL63 8RC-070UK Ultrabook - £705

Lenovo IdeaPad L340 15.6 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop - £699

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-44 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop - £799.99

HP Pavilion 15-dk1007na 15.6 Inch Full HD Gaming Laptop - £799

Given a quick look, I’d be inclined to go with the Acer Nitro 5 AN515 or the HP Pavillion

The Acer has a 144hz IPS screen which is very nice. Both have 1650GTX graphics. The Acer specs mentioned 2 DIMM slots - so would imply 1 spare to upgrade. The HP doesn’t mention anything in any spec sheets (annoying).

Reason I say that is that 8GB is literally your entry level these days. You want 16GB ideal (better to upgrade yourself because RAM is cheap as chips at the moment).

Acer has AMD Ryzen, HP has 10th Gen Intel. Much of a muchness. I’d probably go Ryzen myself.

Comparison:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-10300H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-4600H/m1027882vsm1110331

Ryzen better with multi-core work.

I prefer the look of the HP personally, more professional. They are very close. Both have IPS screens I believe. I’d try and find out which can take the more RAM.

1 Like

Thanks Jes! Typical, a showed these to wifey and she said “well I definitely don’t want anything heavier than the one I have…” so off comes the Ryzen. Both seem to have 8 gig as a max so looking like the HP so far - maybe if there’s room to add more RAM to one of the others it might make a change…

EDIT: The Lenovo can go up to 16 gig…oh you’ve replied hang on lol

1 Like

ASUS

i5 9th Gen
8GB RAM upgradable to 32GB
HD 144hz Screen
GTX 1650 Graphics
Professional Looking
2.2Kg (like the HP)

Ok, does have lit WASD keys… hmm.

1 Like

Actually, not sure if that is a 144hz screen. Says 144FPS playing fortnite… kinda wierd to say that. Worth checking. Are other options too… Just looking…

This is a 2.2Kg Ryzen - The listing says that the IPS screen has 100% Adobe sRGB with 120Hz refresh. That’s pretty cool. Only downside is that it is 256GB SSD. Still looking for a spec sheet to show max RAM…

Sorry - this isn’t helping with a shortlist is it?

1 Like

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Amazon turns out to be quite handy for specs - that Legion 5 has a very nice processor and can take up to 16 gig ram…

Hang on… Check that processor? That first gen Ryzen or a typo?

Laptop model numbers are the same, both say 3ghz - I thought bigger hurtz was better!

If the model is 82B50042UK - which Amazon says it is, then it is latest Ryzen and is a typo.

Full spec
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/82B50042UK

1 Like

Er, so it’s actually the 4000 series processors - so the listed processor speed is wrong - will it be…faster?

Should be 3Ghz Base, Turbo to 4Ghz.

Just reading reviews on it. This is such a minefield. Have you been to PC World or somewhere to have a physical play?

1 Like

No, I’m trying to do this kind of from the hip while I have a window of opportunity. To be honest I think most of these are in the ball park, there’s a lot of price fluctuation at the moment so nailing the perfect buy isn’t the goal, I just want to get a replacement fast, preferably with a next day or Monday delivery (hence the emphasis on Amazon).

1 Like

Thanks for the help @Jester - a couple of last minute thoughts have added these refurbs to the options - any look worth snapping up?

HP 14" EliteBook 840 G3 Ultrabook - Full HD (1920x1080) Core i5-6300U 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD

HP Zbook 15" Screen G3 Laptop, 512GB SSD, 32GB RAM

Dell Precision 3520 Business Workstation-laptop 15.6" Screen Intel Processor Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 12 Months Warranty (Core i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD)

Many boxes ticked, not sure why laptops that seem so new to me would be getting refurbed! Too good to be true?

1 Like

It’s midnight and I’m in my phone so can’t check properly… but I think the Dell looks good. Actually has an Nvidia quadro graphic card… The other two don’t. 32Gb Ram is awesome.

That gfx card seems to be from 2017 so not too old. Would need to research how good it is at Photoshop compared to modern gtx1650 etc… But yeah, on face of it, looks good

1 Like

Thanks Jes, hoping not to be a pest here, just making sure I don’t accidentally order a potato is help enough!

2 Likes

Ok, looking into the spec of the Nvidia Quadro… I found a benchmark for the K620 and it performs better than the Intel Integrated Chipset in Photoshop… but that Dell doesn’t have the K620 it has the M620 - which isn’t as good… so is it really a viable option? mmmmm.

Personally - I’d go with something with the latest GFX cards in, like the GTX1650 (either Ti or MaxQ - with the MaxQ being lower wattage). This’d be at a compromise of the amount of RAM in the system - but that’s the critical thing. You can upgrade RAM. You can’t upgrade your GFX chip.

2 Likes

Absolutely this. 100%

1 Like

Ok, spent ages going through all this with wifey. AGES. Plus all the time you took as well, which is much appreciated! To find out what she chose go to the “What Have you just Bought” thread…