Shadow PC 1 Year Later

Shadow PC is still my everyday PC (well other than my media centre pc for Plex)

I am currently using the Shadow Ghost (thin client) to connect, have one in the office and another in the bedroom hooked up to 4K TV.

They have announced today a partnership with OVH as as well as many other things. -

Shadow Keynote

Pre-ordering now for Feb launch is new hardware also. Exciting times :smiley:

1 Like

Might actually look into this, especially for @Angelclaws, rather than getting a new rig for her.

If you run it on a laptop, does it cause the laptop to turbo-its-tits-off?

3 Likes

Haha basically, you’d log into the client. Then stream it… As long as the laptop is capable of hardware decoding H264 or H265, you’ll be golden… Just full screen the app and off ya go…

My code PHIYZUPS still works for these preorders. £5/10/15 off of first month. (Billed on preorder and then no payment till 1 month after it goes live)

Edit - Well you’d need internet speeds also … I find for 1080p60 … 30-40Mbps is a sweetspot this for H264… So if can do H265… 15-20Mbps is great.

1 Like

This does keep intriguing me. I think investigating it will wait for when my PC ages out, though. It’s long in the tooth, but currently hanging in there.

1 Like

Can now confirm that the CPU in question for the Ultra and Infinite tiers is the Intel Xeon W-3235 and that the GPUs are going to be the RTX 5000 and RTX 6000.

1 Like

Jesus

2 Likes

So they can push 4K at Ultra Ray Trace @ 30FPS Average on Metro Exodus?

That’s impressive.

Fun in think that in another 12 months, they’ll probably get that to 60FPS.

2 Likes

A few more benchmarks from the Infinite tier.

Forza Horizon 4 at 4K max settings 60fps

RDR2 4K max settings 50-55fps avg (Vulkan)
1440p - 60-70fps avg
1080p - 90+

EJLznbQXkAUYPTN

That’s clearly a fuckton of power.

I suppose when it comes down to it, I’m thinking about the economics of the decision to subscribe.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, a vaaaaguely competitive desktop comes in at 1200 quid. Naturally, someone immediately thinks they can make a better PC for tuppence and a couple pieces of fudge, and someone else thinks that a competitive PC would require a fusion reactor. Still, let’s pretend.

So, if we take the infinite PC, that’s 40 quid per month. 400 per 10 months, ‘equivalent’ PC paid off after 30 months or 2 and a half years.

Now, I’d argue that the turnaround on a seriously quality PC is approximately four years. Now, some components can last far longer - RAM generally remains respectable much longer, hard drives are comparatively stagnant outside of huge tech renewals like affordable desktop flash drives - but I think you can say that when you spent enough for an ‘all the best’ experience, you’ve moved out of that segment within four years into ‘good but not great’. Not to say you’re not still receiving value for your investment, but it’s not necessarily the experience you sold your kidney for.

So, 1200 for two and a half years versus four years. It seems like a pretty strong argument in favour of the home desktop. Then again, your streaming desktop guarantees a top-level of performance. You’re not buying a GTX-fuckingAmazing, you’re buying a GTX-fuckingAmazing and GTX-fuckingEvenBetter and GTX-fuckingOhMyGodFuckMeWithYourPixels and whatever else comes out in the meanwhile. You’re not just getting the best performance at the beginning, you’re getting it throughout.

You’re also secure from the outlier experiences, like components frying after a year or some stupid amazing hardware advancement happening two years in and rendering your massive shiny investment about as useful as dynamite in a dildo.

That said, a home desktop secures you a level of performance in the sense of not being at the mercy of network connections, ISPs, servers out of your control…all the fuckery of a cloud computing set-up. Still, as computer environments become ever-more-connected, I’m less and less convinced of this argument. Our games are subject to it, our operating systems are, we are at the mercy at a hundred in-betweens on most of the things we do. I think pretending our computer is our own is probably a salve for our monkey brains. The fruit doesn’t belong to us any more, the fruit belongs to everyone. The communists won, and it’s making them a lot of money. Suck on that dick, Lenin.

I think, overall, things like Shadow PC are the future. For example, environmentally it inarguably makes more sense. Giant computing providers recycle rare earth materials better, they utilize regenerative temperature control, they take advantage of all of the advantages of scale and ensure our rapacious appetites for transistors switching off/forward-active/saturation come at the minimal cost to the Earth.

My point? Thank you for assuming I had one. I’ve forgotten.

4 Likes

I do agree to your point even if there wasn’t one haha

There’s definitely pros and cons, main con being when service goes down unexpectedly (this hasn’t happened to me yet touch wood) or like you say if your own internet goes down, but also like you say we are pretty limited locally when our net goes down nowadays.

However, the best things like you say are if components go faulty, no waiting for RMA etc… Just shutdown, wait like 5-10 mins boot up and be allocated a new rack, while the faulty one is flagged (at least I think that’s how it works haha)

Cost wise, yeah the Infinite package is fucking nuts and completely overkill and costs £960 (less than a 2080Ti/RTX Titan and a heck tonne less than the RTX 6000 you get :laughing: ) over 24 months. Granted if you were to get a 2080Ti build you would likely keep it for a while and tone down the graphical settings till it gets to the point of annoying AF.

But for me one of the main benefits of Shadow is that you don’t need to buy anything else, 18-24 months down the road and the components will be upgraded, so lets say you’ve paid off this uber PC over a finance deal with Scan for example, paid of in 3 years, but now you want more ram or a better CPU etc etc, vicious cycle to want the top of the line shit.

The other main benefit is being able to have “My PC” accessible on pretty much any device that can hardware decode H264/5. Mum’s old laptop with i3 4005u (HD4400 iGPU) then turns into a machine I can use to edit videos from my bed :grin: or the Ghost I have in the Office and Bedroom, I can now seamlessly turn on the one in the bedroom, turn on my xb1 controller and play an action adventure on my TV, or heck take one of my Ghosts to a friends house haha.

I’ve also lost track, I think my point was the same as your point, there’s always going to be Pro’s and Cons.

3 Likes