Star Trek Disco. Discussion thread. There may or may not be be spoilers

I was pondering various aliens to avoid picking ‘random starfleet officer’ due to the voice/accent. Neelix is one of my least favourite characters, but Phlox is one of my favourites. He might make a decent Orion. Or to be honest, a Klingon version of Toast. Klingons have actors and theatrics right, because they have such a rich history? maybe?

Surely he needs to be a Q?

ooh i like that! I do feel like original Q worked best with Picard and felt a bit forced in his DS9 and voyager episodes, but there are multiple Qs so no reason he couldn’t play a different one.

i love Captain Pike

( as aome oen who has only watch the kelvin? timeline films and one episode of generations) i love discovery, is it considered ‘canon’ with normal trek? i don’t know if all the klingon war stuff happened in the original timeline.

yeah, it’s canon, and it’s set 10-15 years before the original series with Kirk (which puts it in canon while the kelvin timeline forks off earlier). Captain Pike was the captain in the original 60s pilot and was set up as the previous captain once the series began.

Best episode yet

See, now i’m torn between watching it with lunch or waiting till tomorrow morning.

Enjoyed that. Good episode. Wanting moar.

That was a lovely callback to the TOS

Time Crystal? Really, that’s what we’re just going to keep saying like it doesn’t sound stupid…

They’re a real thing Link!

I prefer my explanation of ‘time crystal’ and the red angel’s appearance:

This new season was actually pretty enjoyable, it was more “Star Trekky”, more focused on discovering and exploring than blowing shit up. I’m missing the last two episodes though so lets see where that leads with Spock. Maybe they manage to really annoy me at the end?

Funny enough thats exactly where the Orville lost me this season half way through. All was fine until the weird Kaylon arc which I didn’t enjoy as much. I was right about what Isaacs role might be and how it will end still it wasn’t great. Felt a bit out of place and forced for such a light hearted show. I have to catch up too, I think I missed the last episode.

WHY THE FUK IS MY SPOILER TAGS NOT WORKING!! DONT READ IN CASE YOU WANT A SPOILER

Edit. Best I could do. Blur wouldnt work.

Summary

Few things bothered me with this episode.

1. Ariums funeral. We barely got to see her charcter but yet she got a fair send off!
  2. Time Crystals.
  3. The Admirals smirk twice, once I think at the funeral, and then at Burnhams death!
  4. The Grandfather paradox… Surely if future Burnham knew that there was a doc on standby to recucitate present Burnham, she wouldnt be coming back to save her…and clearly it didnt work as future burnham has been coming back from the future so surely didnt die! And would clearly know it was a trap so why come back then! and not 5 minutes before to blow up the containment field to just prevent the idea from going ahead!
  5. Time Crystals.
    Tillys Dizzyness however, enderaing is now getting annoying. Her lack of professionalism is surely putting the lives at risk goddamit! hesitation on the bridge kills!! Still love her though
  6. Time Crystals.

That said, left wanting much more. Looks like another A…EYE got through to poke Captain Leland. Totally loved Georgiou’s scene with Stamats and the doc. Cannae wait for her own show.

Webisodes still have some clues to give

Looks like they will have to head to that planet full of energy to power the time crystal as the one arrived is surely damaged. And thats where the bird who was pal with Tilly was from I think. And then there is still the future Discovery AI to contend with. If you havent seen the Webisodes. Get watching.

[quote=“Scottyboy, post:154, topic:234”]
The Grandfather paradox… Surely if future Burnham knew that there was a doc on standby to recucitate present Burnham, she wouldnt be coming back to save her…and clearly it didnt work as future burnham has been coming back from the future so surely didnt die! And would clearly know it was a trap so why come back then! and not 5 minutes before to blow up the containment field to just prevent the idea from going ahead!
[/quote]
I thought this but the more I thought it’s not her. It being her mum was the next choice. And boom

Summary

@hammy Aye but we didnt know that till after the event. And the thought was it was Burnham from the future. But now that its her MA means that theory goes out the window!!! arrrgh time travel.

I thought for a while it would be a good opportunity to undo the New movie timeline. Save vulcan. Ah well

For the time travel stuff i don’t know the ‘correct’ terms but could it be a she was always going to come back to save burnham at that point and it is all part of a larger ‘loop’ as she knew she had to be captuered or was always going to be at that time and thats the next ‘event’ in that time line or loop. Either way it’s all a big ball of wibbibly wobbily timie whimie stuff

TRECKIN IN SPACE!

Aye @Reno. All is fine now that we know its not actually Burnham. But what I mean, Well I think I mean is surely the likes of Spock would use logic powers to fathom that we cant trick the future into killing the past, becuase the future will know its a trick. So its kinda pointless. Unless he deduced that there was a flaw and that somehow it had to be someone else and not burnham at all. Coz he would figure that the future Burnham would already exist therefore we canty possibly have killed her! in which case why bother trying to kill her!?

Yey Blur worked. Seems if I edit a post it removes the blur.

I was thinking about this as well and couldn’t understand why Spong was suddenly not being logical or why anyone else wouldn’t question it. I also wondered how future Burnham would even know she was dead in the past if dying in the past means not existing in the future. Whoever the angel was had to have still been alive after Burnham died to know to go back and save her. And it was someone else, Ma Burnham!

Curse you spoiler tags!!!!

as soon as time travel turns out to be a thing, you start a protocol that if anyone from the future needs to come back and inform/warn anyone of anything, you have set times and places designated for it. if no one turns up for those meetings, you’re golden. if someone turns up outside of those meetings, don’t fucking trust them.

It’s how we know either A) time travel doesn’t exist or B) no one has any interest in this period of history, because they’ve been invited and not turned up.