Steam VR - who does what with what?

As crazy as this sounds, my wife is asking me to look into Steam VR setups. She’s been quite taken by some of the graphic design and kids education potential with it. I’m feigning disinterest until I’m sure she’s hooked before I start reeling, but…
What systems/ hardware are ZiiPsters using?
What is the current recommend?
How little Space can I get away with for it?
What teething troubles have been and gone?
How many of us are in the Matrix already? It seems like a lot more than I thought are now singing the praises of Alyx and her chums…

2 Likes

I have a funny relationship with VR. Its not my go to “gaming” platform. I have been playing it lately with Alyx out. Had some super multiplayer games of Star Trek Bridge Crew with @Jester and @adrock

But its great entertainment all round. Friends, family all visit and have a shot and love it. So to jump in and out for various experiences not just games is great.

Il try and just simply answer your questions from my view.
What systems/ hardware are ZiiPsters using?
So I am using first generation HTC Vive have an i7 5820k, 12GB DDR4 ram running at 2133Mhz(I had 16GB module broke whilst using VR). But the ram seems to get by ok for now. I also have a Titan X GFX card so plenty oomph there.
What is the current recommend?
Not sure. Many of the Nvidia 10series cards launched with VR support in mind. Best to just look at the various headsets out there and see.
How little Space can I get away with for it?
My set up is in a room which is around 3m by 3.5m The actual play space is 3m x 1.5m after accounting for my desks and sofa bed, Which is probably on the absolute minimum for the VIVE. There are wall mounted Lightboxes which track controllers and headset in the place space

What teething troubles have been and gone?
For me the biggest problem I seem to have is having left the set untouched for a while. Starting it up again always proved problematic. I also seem to have issues with the Display port adaptor, it seems to work better via HDMI. At the moment in order to get it to work I have to unplug one of my second monitors and plug the headset in. Dont know why. But updates seem to be more streamlined now and generally no issues.

How many of us are in the Matrix already? It seems like a lot more than I thought are now singing the praises of Alyx and her chums…
As far as I know, @jester, @Adrock, @Leepants and @morphine04 are in the matrix. There could be more.

3 Likes

You lucky git.
I’d love to get VR, but no way I’m getting that part Zarah for a good few years at least

1 Like

I was summoned here by email; who invokes my name!

Oh hey scottyboy.

i have the same CPU as Scott, a 1080Ti, and 48GB of ram (unrelated to VR) with an oculus rift.

I have the majority of my living room free to play in, but depending on the game you’d definitely get by with less. For Elite Dangerous i just need my chair and desk.

In case it’s relevant, i got cheap glasses with my prescription form Zenni, and a 3d printed frame to mount them inside the thing so i don’t have to wear my glasses with it on. cost about twenty quid all in and well worth it.

#BridgeCrew4Life

3 Likes

Sweet. I’ve downloaded the “test my system” thingy for VR from steam and it seems to hit all the marks no problem. It may be that we have to set the bedroom up differently to get the space required for the design and education things she’s interested in, might be a show stopper. If I can make it seem easy with little to no infrastructure change it would help sell.

Looks like a mix between Vive and Rift and no-one complaining about either - maybe I’ll just look at the advertised differences, compare prices and see what she thinks.

Thanks for input! :+1:

1 Like

Rift S here. Ryzen 7 2700; 32Gb RAM; Nvidia RTX 2070. I did have the first rift too. Rift S sound is pants, so I use wired AKG headphones that plug directly into the headset.

Tend to play racing games, although headset has been unused gathering dust for about 4 - 6 months. I have Elite Dangerous (couldn’t get into it at all due to it being super-complex and having a bajillion controls - got Voice Attack to help, but CBA to set it up) and No Mans Sky. Also tried War Thunder - the aircraft can be used in VR.
Most games I play sat down as I have very liitle play space. I can go more now desk has arrived so I may well go again with Alyx - IF Steam stops crashing my PC… I may well try a racing game again today to see if that behaves.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but

Oculus intend to use a facebook account for login in the future.

1 Like