The strange world of Ryzen

Decided to change the RAM over. Initially I just got some 2400 DDR4 8GB (2x4). N0tch initially told me to go for faster, but 3000 wasn’t available. Reading up, 2400 to 3000 doesn’t make that much difference. or so I thought.

Apparently on Ryzen it does, because it effects the speed of the CPU.

So I decided to get 16GB (2x8) of 3200 DDR4, because why not… Gives better future upgrading options too.

AMD have always had weird shit like this. Back when I had an AMD Athlon 64 3200 CPU it was a 2.2ghz single core CPU that was supposed to perform exactly like an Intel 3ghz intel CPU but on a bunch of motherboards only ran at 1.8ghz.

I would have gone faster, but I think the best bang per buck at the time of me buying was the 3000. Might have been on offer? Dunno.

I believe that 3200 is the sweet spot at the moment considering performance/price.
On Ryzen it makes a big difference.

So I managed to chop an change my system a bit recently. Currently stands at:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8 Core, 16 Thread)
Corsiar Vengence 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS AM4 Motherboard

Comes in at £440. Processor arrives tomorrow - Only £215.00 from Scan, by far the cheapest I’ve seen. Was going to get a the 1700 that was on their deal (only £144, also a bargain) - but decided to go to the Ryzen 2nd Gen.

If you were like me and had an old DDR3 based system, like an old 2600K Intel system - then it wouldn’t cost a fortune to upgrade to something decent… as long as your Monitor, SSD, PSU and GPU are ok.

The 2700 is a funny chip. There is some debate as to how good it is… I mean, make no doubt, it’s a top-end chip. The 2600x out performs it on clock speed, but has 2 less cores. So for gaming, it’ll hold its own but won’t set the world alight. Once OC’d - that’ll I’ll do over time - and with some extra software like RenderGarden - I’ll be able to make the most from its potential.

For the record, this thread title would make a decent name for a blog about strategies to combat erectile dysfunction

All the cores! 8 of them. 16 threads :slight_smile:

Show off.