Upgrade time

So its that time. Seed planted a wee while ago thanks to @VirulentPip and having got my HOTAS set up today thought hmm maybe Il just take an opportunity to upgrade.

So plan is this.

Re-use the following
My PC Case - Coolermaster Someting or other.
PSU Corsair RM850
EVGA - Titan X
M.2 SSD - Samsung 951 500GB
2.5 SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb
2.5 SSD - Sandisk cheapo 500Gb

New Upgrades
GByte Aorus X570 Elite £199
Ryzen 7 3700X (Yep going back to the dark side). £281
Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 3600- £87.98
Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 £169.99
Seagate 2 TB BarraCuda - £59.51

Then when these new shiny Nvidia cards come out may have a looksy at them for further upgrading. Will see.

So working out at around £797.48… Using Amzon alot as they seem cheapest for a few of the items and have £200 in vouchers just sitting that were gifts. Gonna also buy a cheapo case and reuse old MOBO, CPU and older SSD and old HDD amongst some other old parts to have a secondary PC to do my Uni works on and whack Ubunto on it or something.

Ayone have any thoughts that may improve? either save money or boost performance bang for buck kinda thing? Only sticking point is going to 32GB Ram but that could also wait for the GFX upgrade.


Love my Ryzen. I think the general consensus is that it is a no brainer.

Get 32GB RAM. It is cheap at the moment, but we live in unpredictable times… And these things tend to act like commodities.

Spec looks good to me. What monitor you using at the moment?


Oh, and XT variants of the Ryzen range are due to be released in July.

Whether that’ll affect price or not is yet to be determined.

I would buy the 32GB of ram now already to make sure its still cheap and wait for the XT models to release. The 3700XT is a nice upgrade over the X version, clockspeed is a premium at AMD. Its only around 1-2 months more waiting.

27" 2560x1440 @144MHz (165MHz boost) and 24" 1920 x 1080 @ 144MHz

Im not very patient. Quite often to my detriment I shall purchase sooner rather than later then yeah a new chip comes out or new card comes out. Can maybe hold of for another month or 2 though. I could probably throw another £100-£150 to the build if I waited that long.

Any indications on price of the XT models? Quick googley tells me expected between 5 and 10% performance gain over the no XT models. Sometimes Im just thinking £281 is decent price for decent chip to suit my needs. Will another 5-10% really matter and what extra cost?

1 Like

Nice monitors. Definitely no need to touch those lol

1 Like

Nah. Spent a bit on my main monitor. But thats a prime example of how my patience works against me. Shortly after buying this GSYNC model it became possible for Freesync models to work with Nvidia! doh!


Rumors are that the new XT model replace the pricing on the old X model whereas the X model will get a price decrease. Makes sense regarding AMDs price positioning in regards to Intel. Its not confirmed though! If you don’t really care you could also get the 3700x now. With the 4xxx series coming out you would still have a considerable upgrade path for the future!

Lovely screen. I’m still debating with myself to get either a 1440p 120Hz monitor or safe the money, keep my 4K 60Hz and get a new gpu for Cyberpunk. I lean towards the later! I love my 4K screen for photoediting too much and I’m not super competetive that I need 120Hz :blush: My laptop just spoiled me a bit, 120Hz at 1080p was a fairly nice experience!

Wait. What did I do? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well decision was nearly made for me. Was having a poke about my PeeCee inside. Rebooted and nothing. OH OH! Error codes. Seemed to suggest a HDD was causing an issue. So I disconnected on. And as it booted up I noticed the POST screen through my VR goggles!! WTF.

Yeah I like the idea of 4K goodness. Will see where next yer takes me. Start with these upgrades now then next year may upgrade the GFX and consider 4k.

Have a look at their combo deals on overclockers Scotty

1 Like

I did. And Scan and Ebuyer. Was cheapest via Amazon. Anyway got £215 in Amzon gift cards towards it all as well.

Think Im gonna wait for the new Ryzen then either save a bit more on the 3700X or grab the XT.


Thanks for the tip in holding off. Getting closer.