Warhammer Painting

Where do you buy 40k paints?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/detail?N=3815391097+2401632303&searchTerm=Paint

1 Like

Thank you I got the app but that just flummoxed me

2 Likes

I did a thing

5 Likes

Fuck yeah! :smiley:

3 Likes

i use LINK! they are a bit cheaper and quick

1 Like

odd question did GW change the size of the minis at some point in the last 10 years? i have an old SM next to my new starter one and it’s like twice the size?

2 Likes

The new larger marines are “Primaris” space marines. They’re essentially the new breed of space marines. Bigger, tougher, angrier.

There was a big event in the lore of the game, and with that came a lot of special characters into the story (or returning to the story) as well as developments for all of the armies.

For Space Marines, it was the creation of Primaris Marines. They had an extra wound, an extra attack and really fancy guns at the start, but now the old marines have the extra wound too.

The models for them are just so damn nice too.

The new troops are called Intercessors. There are now a lot of “-ors” marines :smiley:

Intercessors.
Aggressors.
Inceptors.
Eliminators.
Eradicators.
the list goes on :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah ok, does that meen the older models aren’t used any more are all new SMs that size now?

Also I cba to get the paint for highlights spent to much buying the wrong paints today. So this is my second completed SM with a full shade not a recess and I love how it has turned out.

i still need to do the base but still

3 Likes

The old ones are still usable basically girlyman pulled a cheeky legion of these guys out of cawls mitts an went on a crusade to bolster all of the empire its a good read and still ongoing basically every faction can have primes now aswel as normals

3 Likes

Ok going to need some ideas,

deciding on colours!

4 Likes

Neon colours and glow sticks and whistles

1 Like

Get yourself a load of magnets for them too :slight_smile:

Go through the rulebook for paint scheme ideas and set to twitter/instagram for other colour ideas if you don’t like the “historical” schemes.

1 Like

Need some advice on layering. Im trying to paint an old tau vehicle thing and the GW paint guided said use vx88 as the base and ugnor flesh to layer. The only layering guilds I have seen focus on armour of marines and closes. How the hell do I make this looks as light as the display tau.

1 Like

magnets? for the weapons etc?? or summit else?

Im really new to this side o painting

1 Like

I was rereading vreds magnet posts and got some 1/8 magnets and a hand drill never done it before but fluck it in for a soggy biscuit

2 Likes

I’m edging ever closer to having a lesson for painting miniatures…

That might sound irresponsible, but providing I deliver it correctly I’d be able to cover a shitload of skills from different curriculums as well as ‘soft skills’ and peripheral skills that they will essentially be tricked in to learning/practicing.

I am turning each one of these kids in to an extra strength geek and we are all loving it.

4 Likes

Exactly that! Magnets are ideal for having “hot-swaps” on your weapons on the titans (not the Knights). Drill a suitably sized hole in the socket and the ball of the body and gun, set your magnet: boom.

@Buggsy, remember to use superglue to set them. You only have about 5 seconds to tinker with them until it sets though. Plastic glue takes forever to set and doesn’t have the same level of hold on the magnet.

3 Likes

I just build up the colour in multiple layers. Remember to keep your paints thinned so that you get a nice, smooth finish.

@spoonlamp, care to chime in?

4 Likes

@Reno ok so a few things here. Firstly I’d say using the display models and colours as a goal can be a bit off-putting. Sure, use them as a reference, but painting is a bit like cooking - just cos you have the exact same ingredients (paints) doesn’t mean your meal will come out like the pro chefs. And large uni-colour surfaces like metal panels gives you little room for most of the layering and highlight techniques. Don’t be put off if you’re not matching GW’s show-case pieces! They’re your models - enjoy painting them pick up and learn techniques as you improve, be patient and enjoy the time.

Looking at your image (and one to note is that these close-up photos easily catch all the things you miss with the naked eye so it will always seem worse than it is in the hand) I’d agree with @NaloaC that it looks like you’re over-loading your brush or the paint is a little too thick. Water it down just a little and expect that you might have to do 2 or 3 thin coats to get the full colour. That should get rid of the slight ridging effect from the paintbrush.

A lot of the Tau stuff initially seems to be based on really clean lines, but actually they can lend themselves to weathering very well. Here’s a fairly simple quick method using washes that might give you ideas, the principle should work on pretty much any colour scheme;

Finally, when I started getting back into painting I immediately started on basic troops. Numbers hide mistakes and you don’t ned to spend hours and hours carefully picking out details. Did a few of those before attempting an HQ or Special Character just so I was happy with the basics. Don’t be afraid to take things to a certain level that you’re happy with then put it aside and paint something else for a while and come back in the future. I’ve got about 15 different pieces from 2 different armies which are all in the “base colours, starting details” phase. I mix and match depending on how much time I have and the mood I’m in. Hope some of this waffle helps!

EDIT: I forgot I found this one which looks like it might help, looks quite close to the colour scheme you’re using;

3 Likes